Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Psalm 72

One of the elders of our church came home for dinner. During family prayer he shared his valuable experiences in studying and meditating on the word of God. This is what he said:

'It is very important to keep meditating throughout the day on what you have read during your morning quiet time. We must reflect on God's word and mull over it in our spare time. Then the word became our life and experience.'

A few days later I remember his words. When my wife and I did our morning joint prayer we read Psalm 72. Earlier we used to read the Bible in a routine way, but now we reflected. And the words came to me clearly from 72.6, 72.12 and 72.18.

Psalm 72.6 says, 'He shall come down like rain upon the mown grass, like showers that water the earth.' Mown grass. Is that the work of the cross? The grass has to be cut; the vine has to be pruned. That phrase and verse is now embedded in my memory.

Psalm 72.12 says 'He will deliver the needy when he cries for help, the afflicted also, and him who has no helper.' I am reminded of the famous phrase, 'poor and needy', which we often come across in the Psalms. The humble and afflicted. Oh, how importance for me to realise that I am poor and needy, and must depend on the Lord for everything. 'Cries for help'. 'This poor man cried and the Lord heard him and delivered him from all his troubles' Psalm 34.6. 'Cried' is a strong word; 'with loud cries and tears', Heb 5.7. 'Him who has no helper' is very touching.

Psalm 72.18 says, 'Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, who alone works wonders.' This verse I am still carrying today. It is God who alone can save us, who alone does wonders [Psalm 136.4]. O Lord, prove to be a wonder-working God in my life!

Psalm 72, a psalm which I rarely meditated upon, furnished me three great promises. That evening I shared them with my prayer partner, my wife's cousin, who was going through a great trial. I believe they comforted him; they certainly comforted me.

Psalm 72 speaks of the reign of the Righteous King, our Lord Jesus Christ. We all look forward to that millenial kingdom. In His days the righteous will flourish and there will be an abundance of peace [72.7]. There will be an abundance of grain in the earth on top of the mountains [72.16] and the whole earth will be filled with His glory. [72.19] He will vindicate His children, the poor and needy; 'their blood will be precious in His sight'. Oh, we are so precious to Him. May all the earth worship Him!

1 Comments:

Blogger Vicki said...

Merry Christmas to you and all of your family.

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home